A Lesson Learned

Since early January, I have been working on Astronovus as an independent study under the supervision and guidance of Dr. Gerald Voorhees.  Throughout this passed term I feel like I have learned a lot about the game design process – but the most important lesson I have learned is the necessity for documents outlining goals and objectives.  In the early stages of the project, I assumed that these documents were simply for the purposes of communicating the information to other parties – this assumption has cost me a lot of time for aspects of gameplay that might not even come to full fruition.  While I cannot deny the fun and excitement of essentially “discovering” what I wanted in the game as I went along, it did cost me a lot of valuable time that could’ve been spent designing the core components more clearly and playtesting them.   So a hard lesson has been learned and I am now going to be working on the design on a macro level, slowly moving inward as I solidify the processes of the game.  The documents I have on the website are, for the time being, still considered to be part of the game.  I will be working more on addressing the macro level issues and posting the documents on this portfolio blog when they’re finished.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s